Yes, my name really is spelled that way.

8/12/2011

vegetable enchiladas.

Since I recently tore out my parsley plant resulting in a bunch of pesto and went to the farmer's market, I decided to make vegetable enchiladas since they are good for lunches and dinners and I can freeze the rest (with my upcoming trip, I need options!).  I ended up making two pans since I got on a roll!  These are a slightly healthier version, not only because of the in season veggies, but the sprouted grain tortillas and cheese made with skim milk instead of whole. 
vegetable enchiladas with parsley pepita pesto.
makes enough to fill two nine inch pans (10 enchiladas)
10 tortillas 
2 zucchini 
1 bell pepper
parsley pepita pesto (recipe here)
1/2 bag Trader Joe's low fat Mexican shredded cheese
1 bottle enchilada sauce (again, Trader Joe's)
1/2 can black beans (approximate)
green onions for garnish
Preheat grill on medium-high.  Cut zucchini and bell pepper into strips and place on olive oil spritzed grill. Spritz other side of veggies with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Grill until char marks appear on both sides (the darker the better!).  Remove and cut into bite sized pieces.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Working one tortilla at a time, spread a tsp of pesto, add about a tbsp of black beans and about a 1/4 cup of grilled veggies.  Sprinkle with cheese and arrange in a 9 inch baking dish.  Finish with the remaining tortillas.  Pour 1/2 bottle of enchilada sauce over each pan and sprinkle with cheese and chopped green onions. Bake about 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment