Yes, my name really is spelled that way.

5/11/2011

beets: bang for your buck (2)

The other day, I posted this about my single bunch of beets with endless possibilities.  Yesterday, I sauteed the beet greens with some garlic and spices - this dish is very similar to a sauteed kale or chard.  Since I am doing the whole bunch, I will save time by storing the leftovers as they can easily be dropped into any dish - soup, pasta salad, scrambled eggs, quiche, frittata, rice, quinoa, couscous, etc., etc.!  I needed a quick lunch today, so I grabbed some pasta and the beet greens and got to work....
pasta salad with beet greens, beans & olives.
1 cup whole wheat pasta
3/4 cup sauteed beet greens (see below for recipe)
1/2 cup cannellini beans (Italian white beans)
drizzle olive oil
drizzle red wine vinegar
1/4 cup chopped kalamata olives
1/4 cup fat free feta
Bring water to a boil, add pasta and cook according to package directions.  Drain.  In a bowl, combine remaining ingredients and add pasta.  Stir to combine.

sauteed beet greens.
1 bunch beet greens
drizzle olive oil (be generous)
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
sprinkle red chili flakes to taste
Wash and dry beet greens.  Chop roughly into about 1 inch pieces.  Heat a large skillet over medium heat.  Add olive oil.  Add garlic and saute until fragrant (about 2 minutes).  Working in batches, add beet greens about a large hand full at a time.  Add spices and saute until wilted.  Transfer to an airtight container for future use.

No comments:

Post a Comment