Yes, my name really is spelled that way.

5/10/2011

beets: bang for your buck (1).

Beets are probably the perfect vegetable for the wallet conscious - their versatility can turn one bunch (with greens) into countless dishes!  I went to the farmer's market recently and found some beautiful golden beats.  Golden beets are my favorites - a close second is the candy beets with their cute stripes, but those are less common.  

I paid only $2 for a medium sized bunch but was shocked when the vendor asked me if I wanted the tops cut off!  Rookie mistake for less experienced cooks/farmer's market shoppers: NEVER have the tops cut off.  They can be used in place of spinach, kale, chard or any dark leafy greens.  For my one bunch of golden beets, I made three dishes - all completely different and I am ready to go back for more next week!  
beet challenge, day 1: roasted beet salad.
1 bunch golden beets, peeled and quartered, greens reserved
olive oil 
salt and pepper to taste
crumbled feta or goat cheese
walnuts, chopped
drizzle red wine vinegar
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Combine beets, olive oil, salt and pepper in a small baking dish (single layer).  Roast about 30 minutes until fork tender.  Cool.  Toss with vinegar, cheese and nuts.  Test seasoning and adjust, if necessary.  

No comments:

Post a Comment