Yes, my name really is spelled that way.

4/20/2011

ode to joan's on third.

I am obsessed with Joan's on Third.  It is LA's answer to Dean and Deluca!  It is great because it is 2 right turns away from the gallery (although making 2 left turns to come back sucks).  Occasionally, M gets a cupcake craving and we just HAVE to make a Joan's run.  I could linger in their marketplace forever!  

One of my favorite Joan's on Third salads is the roasted fennel.  Fennel grows wild in LA - my recent hike had me brushing by wild fennel bushes and running my fingers through the fronds to capture some of the anise scent.  LA freeways are brimming with wild fennel bushes. They are brighter and lacier than most of the wildflowers and native plants.  I would take a picture but don't want to risk my life for the shot!

roasted fennel salad.
2 fennel bulbs, fronds removed and outer layer removed
olive oil
salt and pepper
sundried tomatoes
toasted pine nuts
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Slice off the core of the fennel bulbs and slice about 1/4 inch thick.  Add to a baking dish, drizzle generously with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Roast for about 35-40 minutes, until nicely carmelized.  Cool and transfer to an airtight container, adding the oil as it will act as a binder for the salad.  Add sundried tomatoes pine nuts (to taste). 

No comments:

Post a Comment