Yes, my name really is spelled that way.

2/24/2011

oscar party healthy cocktail snack.

Earlier in the week, I posted this about kale chips - I am always on the lookout for healthy snacks.  For work, I usually cut up celery and carrot sticks with hummus - they get me through my afternoon until chocolate time (for some reason, I really need chocolate around 4 pm.  Yes, the operative word is need.)  

I found a recipe for roasted spiced garbanzo beans and they are pretty addicting.  I plan on making a few healthy cocktail snacks to watch the Oscars (aka the Super Bowl for girls and gays) this weekend with my friend Yvonne.  Kale chips and roasted garbanzo beans would go perfect with Campari champagne cocktails!  
roasted spiced garbanzo beans.
1 can garbanzo beans
olive oil spray
sprinkle salt and pepper
generous sprinkle of garam masala, cinnamon
sprinkle turmeric

Before beginning: drain and rinse garbanzo beans.  Allow to dry thoroughly on a paper towel.  If they are not dry, the beans will be mushy - not the desired crunchy outcome!  I allowed mine to dry on a paper towel for at least an hour or two.  
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Spritz a baking dish with olive oil spray.  Add beans in a single layer, spritz beans and shake to coat.  Sprinkle with spices and shake dish again.  Roast for 35-45 minutes, or until the beans are crunchy.  
Note: do not store in an airtight container or plastic zip lock bag as they will just go stale.  They are best in a bowl, uncovered and eaten within 2-3 days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment