Yes, my name really is spelled that way.

1/06/2011

healthy muffins.

I'm not big into New Year's resolution or baking but all the yoga I did over my holiday break got me in the mood for a grab-and-go snack.  I had some overripe bananas and instead of making my usual banana bread with butter, sugar and eggs, a healthier version seemed more apropos!  
healthy banana muffins.
3 very ripe bananas
2 c whole wheat flour
3/4 sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup apple sauce (butter substitution)
1 tsp vanilla
2 egg whites, beaten
1 tsp cinnamon

"Streudel" topping: flax seeds, oatmeal, pinch brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, spray muffin tin with cooking spray.  Mash bananas with a potato masher (a fork will do too).  Combine flour, sugar, baking soda in medium bowl.  Add cinnamon, apple sauce, eggs, vanilla and bananas to flour mixture and mix until combined (be careful not to overmix).  Spoon batter into muffin tins about 2/3 full.
 To make "streudel" topping: combine oatmeal and pinch brown sugar in the food processor.  pulse a few times until the oatmeal is quartered.  sprinkle flax seeds over tops, top with oatmeal/brown sugar mix
Bake 15-20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.  Cool on a rack completely.  May be stored in the freezer in a zip lock bag or airtight container for up to 2 months. 

1 comment:

  1. This looks great! I love muffins, but they're always so fatty. These look like a great alternative.

    ReplyDelete