Yes, my name really is spelled that way.

11/22/2010

pre/post thanksgiving breakfast.

This time of year, I love Indian chai - the spicy flavor is the perfect morning wake up.  I found this recipe in Gourmet a few years ago and love it as it blends chai with dried fruit to take on new life as an exotic compote.  Great with cheese and crackers, ice cream, even pork tenderloin!  My favorite use is a yogurt and granola parfait - the ultimate pre or post Thanksgiving breakfast....

chai poached apricots & plums.
3/4 sugar
1 vanilla bean
6 oz. dried plums
6 oz. dried apricots
2 chai tea bags

Combine sugar with 3 cups of water in a saucepan.  Halve vanilla bean and scrape seeds into pan (I often omit this when I don't have vanilla beans with a cheater splash of vanilla extract. Not as pretty but gets the job done).  Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally until sugar is dissolved.  Add plums, cook 3 minutes.  Add apricots and tea bags and return to a simmer.  Cook gently, stirring once or twice, 5 minutes.  Remove from heat.  Steep 15 minutes and remove tea bags.  Transfer to a jar or airtight container.  Compote keeps chilled 2 weeks.  
For the parfait:  Trader Joe's pumpkin granola (or any granola) and vanilla Greek yogurt.  Alternate layers and top with a plum or apricot on top.  
Note:  I ran out of dried apricots so I just used the plums.  This recipe can easily be cut in half (which is what I did). 

No comments:

Post a Comment