Yes, my name really is spelled that way.

11/30/2010

bye bye pumpkins.

My mom had a tradition of baking tapioca in a hollowed out pumpkin when I was a kid for Halloween while my brother and I sorted through our candy. My new tradition is to buy a pumpkin at the beginning of fall, leave it uncarved on a table and at the end of fall, cook it.  Last year I did a roasted pumpkin but this year, I decided to do the tapioca.  I think it is the perfect fall dessert with stunning presentation....  


Pumpkin Tapioca.
1 small sugar or pie pumpkin, top cut off and seeds scraped out
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
tapioca pudding
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cut a 4-5 inch lid on the pumpkin to scoop out seeds.  Sprinkle 1 tsp cinnamon inside the pumpkin, rolling to dust the interior evenly with the spice.  Place pumpkin (with lid on) in a baking dish.  Set the oven rack in the middle and pour boiling water into the baking dish (to a depth of 1/2 - 3/4 inch).  Bake until pumpkin is tender when pierced (about 45 minutes).  
 At about 30 minutes, make tapioca (I use the instant) and follow directions on the box.  Remove pumpkin and pour tapioca in, sprinkling with the remaining 1/2 tsp cinnamon.  Bake 30 minutes with the lid on, allow to set and cool about 30 minutes.  Serve warm, scooping some of the pumpkin with each serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment