Yes, my name really is spelled that way.

10/04/2010

me date.

With my knee injury, nights usually spent going to a fantastic yoga class are now spent moping around the house feeling sorry for myself - surrounded by ice packs. I decided to cheer myself up with what I call a little "me date:" candles aglow, wine reserved for special occasions, the fun cocktail napkins, appetizers before dinner. 
 Anthropologie tealight holders, real coral from my late grandpa's collection


Appetizer
Goat cheese with edible flowers
Last of the figs (I was desperate - they are from TJ's)
Rosemary crackers
Wine pairing:  Pinot Blanc
While I snacked, I thumbed through my latest issue of Tastes of Italia for this recipe:

Side Dish
Braised pearl onions
About 20 pearl onions peeled 
Easy peel technique:       Blanche in boiling water for 1-2 minutes.  
                                        Drain and rinse with cold water.  
                                        Cut off the stems and pop out of the peel)

1 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1/2 tbsp. sugar
1/2 tbsp. flour
1 tbsp. chopped parsley
salt and pepper to taste
Combine butter, oil and onions.  Cook on medium 12-15 minutes (I found it was closer to 12) until golden brown.  Add everything (except the parsley) and cook about 4-5 minutes.  Top with parsley.

Main Dish
Pork chop (frenched) with the following marinade:
dijon mustard (scant 1/2 teaspoon)
olive oil
chopped garlic (1 clove) 
chopped fresh rosemary (1 sprig)
salt and pepper to taste
Combine ingredients, spread on pork and let rest for at least 20-30 minutes.  Cook in a pan, about 5 minutes per side.  Let rest 5-10 minutes. 



Wine pairing: Zinfandel (recommended: Bridlewood 2008 Estate Zinfandel)

 Music pairing:  Ali Farka Toure & Ry Cooder - Ai Du

                   


No comments:

Post a Comment