Yes, my name really is spelled that way.

9/14/2012

homemade pasta with wonton wrappers.

I love homemade pasta but since I am a horrible baker and don't know where my rolling pin is, I have to rely on shortcuts.  Dough is not a strength for me in the kitchen, it is a weakness! I love chefs like Giada de Laurentis because she makes ravioli with wonton wrappers all the time and it seems so luxe.  I made these the other day in the morning and then finished them off in boiling water when it was dinner time - so simple!  
homemade ravioli with lemon ricotta beet greens in fresh tomato sauce.

"pasta:"
wonton wrappers
egg wash - one egg mixed with water

filling:
ricotta cheese (I used the fat free)
zest of one lemon
1 egg
parmesan cheese
sauteed beet greens, chopped fine

fresh tomato sauce:
1 large tomato (I used a big heirloom brandywine), diced
1 clove of garlic, minced
drizzle olive oil 
splash of red wine
splash of balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
sprinkle of sugar

For top: 
Parmesan cheese, freshly grated

To make the filling:
In a small bowl, combine ingredients and stir to mix. 
 
 
  
To assemble pasta:
On a flat work surface, lay out wonton wrappers.  Top with a tablespoon of filling in the center of each square.  With a small pastry brush, brush the edges with egg wash and place another wonton wrapper on top.  Brush the edges with egg wash again and press to seal the wrappers together.  Finish until the filling runs out!  
 
To cook pasta:
In a very large pot, bring water to a boil.  To avoid sticking, only cook about 5 raviolis at a time.  Cook only 2-3 minutes and remove with a slotted spoon.  Handle gently to avoid tearing.  Continue with remaining pasta.  
To make the sauce:
In a stainless steel pan, add olive and heat 1 minute.  Add garlic clove and cook until fragrant.  Add tomato and raise heat to medium-high.  After a few minutes, add wine and vinegar, salt, pepper and sugar and continue cooking until tomatoes are bubbling, sauce is thickened and edges of the pan are turning brown.  Remove from heat. 
 I made so much, I ended up having it a second night, inviting my friend Vicki and Maximilian's best friend, Felix over for dinner!  The uncooked ravioli keeps surprising well.  Instead of a tomato sauce, I did a brown butter sauce and drizzled it on top.  Perfect with grilled summer veggies and crisp white wine....

No comments:

Post a Comment