Yes, my name really is spelled that way.

6/12/2012

israeli couscous with beet greens.

I promise, this is the last of the beet posts...for now.  I am still OD-ing on my golden and candy striped beets from the farmer's market.  I have posted only a teeny tiny portion of the recipes I have made using either beets or the beet greens as I have been pretty much eating them for the last couple weeks since 1) they made an appearance in Larchmont's farmer's market and 2) I have had time to go to the market to pick them up regularly.  I might cave in another couple weeks but this is it for now!  

This is one of my favorite lunches - Israeli couscous with beet greens, dried fruit and pistachios.  I usually make couscous salads and just mix up the fixings.  I have made this with dried cherries (yummy but they really stain the couscous so I call that my deadly couscous) and cranberries (not as sweet but they don't stain anything).  This recipe makes enough for two lunches with a side dish (beet carpaccio?!)....
israeli couscous with beet greens.
sauteed beet greens (posted here)
1 1/3 cup couscous (cooked with 1 3/4 cups water until cooked through)
handful dried fruit - cherries or cranberries
handful pistachios, shelled and rough chopped if necessary
citrus vinaigrette (below)
 Cook couscous according to package instructions.  Toss with citrus vinaigrette and remaining ingredients.  Stir to combine and keep chilled. 

citrus vinaigrette.
juice of 2 limes or juice of one lemon or juice of one orange
splash of red wine vinegar
pinch salt and pepper
2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
  In a small bowl, add juice, vinegar and salt and pepper.  Slowly stream in olive oil, whisking to emulsify. 

No comments:

Post a Comment