Yes, my name really is spelled that way.

7/22/2011

last of the edible flowers.

Since I still had 1/2 a bag of squash blossoms and I was short on time, I made a quick dish before yoga that is a more traditional use of the flowers.  Squash blossoms are actually used in traditional Mexican cooking - often seen in a soup, enchiladas or quesadillas.  My favorite is the latter: quesadillas de flor de calabaza.  Just a couple minutes to assemble and place on my stovetop grill and I was out the door!  
quesadilla de flor de calabaza.
1 flour tortilla (I used one that was whole grain - actually pretty good)
2-3 squash blossoms, cut in half
about 1/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese (I cheated and used the Trader Joe's lowfat pre-shredded in a bag to save time and calories)
about 2 tbsp. mild green chilis
about 3 tbsp. black beans (drained and without liquid)
Preheat stovetop grill pan on high.  Lay tortilla on a work surface and layer green chilis, black beans and squash blossoms.  Fold in half and place on grill, weighted down with a plate.  Cook about 4 minutes per side.  Transfer to a plate and cut into wedges.  Enjoy with a side of black beans sprinkled with queso fresco or cheat and sprinkle with fat free feta....

No comments:

Post a Comment