Yes, my name really is spelled that way.

7/15/2011

edible flowers.

I went to the farmer's market the other day and got a good amount of loot for my $12 limit (otherwise I go crazy and things turn on me, rotting in the fridge).  Strawberries, apricots, radishes (with greens), reed avocado (better than hass), tomatoes and zucchini blossoms.  
I was thrilled to find zucchini blossoms with little zucchinis attached!  I managed to use the little zucchinis later in the week and made baked fritters out of the blossoms.  One of the ways chefs prepare blossoms is to fry them.  I can't bring myself to do that so I did a baked version...I think it turned out just as good! 

baked zucchini blossom fritters.
handful blossoms, washed and zucchini trimmed and reserved for another dish
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp paprika
salt and pepper to taste
filling:
1/2 cup ricotta
zest of 1 lemon
1 garlic clove, minced
fresh chopped parsley and basil
salt and pepper to taste
 Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Pour panko into a shallow dish and add paprika, salt and pepper.  Mix all filling ingredients and set aside.  Working in an assembly line, stuff filling into each blossom.  I find it helps to cut a little slit in the top of the blossom and use a small spoon!  Dip filled blossom in egg and dip in panko, pressing on all sides to coat.  Transfer to a baking dish lightly spritzed with olive oil.  Repeat with the remaining blossoms.  Once finished, lightly spritz with olive oil spray.  Bake for about 20 minutes, or until panko is crisped and lightly browned.  


Since I was in the mood to OD on carbs, I also made an easy nut and herb pasta dish - recipe can be found here

No comments:

Post a Comment