Yes, my name really is spelled that way.

6/29/2011

reduced guilt homemade onion rings.

Onion rings are one of my vices.  I love them and I love fries - anything is better with salt and a lot of ketchup!  Since I am (hopefully) nearing the point when I refuse to turn on the oven (too hot!), I found this recipe (adapted from Ellie Krieger) and figured I should make it before summer's first heat wave....  I like that it makes something like onion rings a guilty pleasure without the guilt!  
reduced guilt homemade onion rings.  
1 large onion, cut into rings, about 1/4 inch thick
2 cups panko - Japanese style bread crumbs
1/2 cup whole wheat flour + 2 tbsp
1 cup low fat buttermilk
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp paprika
cooking spray (I used olive oil)
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Place onion rings in a ziplock bag.  Add 1/2 cup of flour and shake to coat.  Pour buttermilk in a small bowl.  In a shallow dish, add panko, remaining 2 tbsp of flour and spices.  Dip a flour coated onion ring in buttermilk and then in panko.  Coat evenly.  Place rings on a large baking sheet.  Once all rings have been coated, spritz with cooking spray and bake for about 20 minutes until brown and crisp. 

No comments:

Post a Comment