Yes, my name really is spelled that way.

6/10/2011

kale citrus juice.

Recently, when Paul was in town for the opening of his exhibition (seen here ), we went to the Venice Whole Foods juice bar on our way to the gallery.  Their juices and smoothies made me want a juicer!  Before I go out and buy a $200 clunky kitchen appliance (good luck finding a place for that), I discovered a recipe for one of my favorites - kale juice - made in a blender and sieve.  Since the recent farmer's market trip meant tons of kale, I got to work armed with Gwyneth Paltrow's recipe with a citrus-y tweak....
kale citrus juice.
1 bunch kale, stemmed and coarsely chopped
2 oranges
2 lemons
1 tbsp honey or agave
About 1 cup water
In a blender, combine kale (work 1/2 the batch at a time), juice and about a cup of water.  Blend until smooth.  Add remaining kale and blend again, making sure the kale is very finely ground.  Add more water if necessary.  Place a mesh sieve over a bowl and pour juice and solids through the sieve, pushing through with a wooden spoon.  If there are a lot of solids, add a bit more water about a 1/4 cup at a time, stirring to blend.  When all juice is extracted, pour into a container and chill.  
Note: can be added to smoothies too!  I had a few glasses straight up as well as a mango kale smoothie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment