Yes, my name really is spelled that way.

6/02/2011

almost decadent dessert.

My friend, Aurora, loaned me her ice cream maker a while ago and I have been enjoying it ever since.  I made an amazing grapefruit and Campari sorbet recently but alcohol is tricky so it didn't freeze up completely and thus didn't photograph very well!  My recent recipe was divine - creamy like gelato but since it is made with low fat buttermilk and sweetened with honey, it is only a smidgen of sin....
buttermilk honey sorbet.
1 3/4 cups buttermilk (I used low fat)
5 tbsp. honey
3 tbsp. light corn syrup
Gently heat honey in a saucepan until liquefied (low heat).  Remove from heat.  Whisk in buttermilk and corn syrup.  Cool completely (I put the pan in the fridge overnight).  Transfer to an ice cream maker and churn according to instructions.  Transfer to an airtight container and freeze at least 2 hours.  Great with....
balsamic pepper strawberries.
1/2 cup strawberries, hulled and halved
2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
sprinkling sugar
fresh cracked black pepper to taste

Combine and leave at room temp for about 10-15 minutes for the flavors to combine.  Spoon over buttermilk honey sorbet.  
*Note: I've started keeping the bowl for the ice cream maker in the freezer at all times.  It takes forever to freeze otherwise and by time I want to make something it is ready.  Before, I would start making sorbet and have to wait 2 days for the bowl to freeze (getting bored with the recipe in the process!)

No comments:

Post a Comment