Yes, my name really is spelled that way.

1/13/2011

risotto stuffed tomatoes.

I love risotto and always seem to make a big pot of it - drowning in leftovers.  This week, I decided to reinvent the idea of leftover risotto and found two uses: risotto stuffed tomatoes and risotto cake (more on the latter later).  The risotto stuffed tomatoes easily transitioned the dish into my lunch rotation with a green salad....
risotto stuffed tomatoes.
leftover risotto (see note below)
firm but rip tomatoes
parmiggiano cheese
bread crumbs
fresh chopped Italian parsley
drizzle olive oil
Note: I didn't include measurements in the recipe because it depends on 1) how much risotto you have and 2) what kind of tomatoes you have.  I used romas (all I could find organic right now) so they are considerably smaller.  I had about a cup of risotto leftover so the breakdown is: 1 tbsp of risotto in each tomato.  I made a total of 3 whole tomatoes, 6 halves.  As for the topping for 6 tomatoes, I did 2 tbsp parmiggiano, 1 tbsp bread crumbs, 1 tbsp chopped parsley.  
Cut tomatoes in half and scoop out seeds.  Sprinkle with salt and place cut side down on a paper towel to drain for about 5-10 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the topping of parmiggiano cheese, bread crumbs and chopped Italian parsley and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Once tomatoes have drained, place in a baking dish.  Drizzle with olive oil and fill with risotto.  Cover with foil and bake about 15-20 minutes.  Remove, preheat broiler and add topping.  Place under the broiler for a couple minutes until the cheese has melted and the tops are slightly browned. 

1 comment:

  1. These look great. I never thought to stuff risotto in tomatoes, but it looks so good.

    ReplyDelete