Yes, my name really is spelled that way.

12/22/2010

even brussels sprouts can taste good.

Brussels sprouts were probably the most avoided childhood vegetable.  I hated them when I was a kid but now I love them!  I think it is all in the preparation - steaming vegetables sucks the life and flavor out of them which was the only way vegetables seemed to be prepared in the 80's when I was growing up.  Roasting vegetables brings all the flavor out....

With all the junk food floating around during the holidays (I tried to avoid it all but M has a sweet tooth so he ignored me & yanked open boxes cookies and chocolates!).  To counteract, I decided to make a really healthy lunch to go with some of mom's leftover soup.  

roasted brussels sprout salad. 
About 2 1/2 cups brussels sprouts
olive oil (drizzle)
salt and pepper to taste
balsamic vinegar (drizzle)
dried cranberries (about 2-3 tbsp)
crumbled feta (about 1/4 cup)
nuts of your choosing (about 2 tbsp - I like toasted pine nuts but all I had was walnuts so I tossed them in)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Stem and slice brussels sprouts - add to a baking dish, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Roast about 15-20 minutes.  In the last 5 minutes of cooking, remove and drizzle with balsamic vinegar.  Allow to cool before adding the remaining ingredients in an airtight container.  Stir to combine.  Keep chilled.  
Time saver:  you can cheat on the roasting time if you steam the sprouts halfway, then roast them for 10-15 minutes.  For all the shopping procrastinators out there, this mp3 is for you....

No comments:

Post a Comment