Yes, my name really is spelled that way.

10/18/2010

old new york.


The other night I put on my new favorite band, The Mumlers, while hanging out at home.  My friend Brody introduced me to them in a recent music swap.  A bay area indie band led by Will Sprott and talented as hell, they mix vintage instruments to produce an eclectic, jazzy, from-a-different-era sort of sound.  All the while, they are decidedly modern.  
The Mumlers reminded of one of my favorite New York City bars, Stanton Social.  Their basil gimlet I had last summer with my friend Jessica takes me to a pencil skirt wearing, jazz baby kind of mood....

Stanton Social Basil Gimlet
Vodka (I used Ketel One straight from the freezer)
Fresh basil (2-3 sprigs)
Fresh lime juice (1 lime)
Lemon simple syrup (recipe follows below)

Add basil and drizzle with simple syrup.  With a muddler or a wood spoon, muddle until broken down.  Add lime juice, crushed ice and vodka.  Shake and pour in a chilled martini glass.

Lemon Simple Syrup
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp water
2 tbsp lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
Zest of one lemon

Add all ingredients to a saucepan and stir to combine.  Simmer until sugar dissolves.  Turn off heat and allow to cool.  Stores a month in the fridge (I put it in a jam jar with a tight fitting lid).  

No comments:

Post a Comment