Yes, my name really is spelled that way.

10/14/2010

eat your fruit: part 2 (choosing)

Last week, I posted a few tricks on how to shop for fresh produce here.  But what to do when you are actually looking at a pile of fruit that you know is in season?  How do you choose?  How do you ensure everything won't spoil?  A few tricks for choosing...
  • When shopping for one, I take the "now and later" approach.  I pick one to couple that are ripe now and one to a couple that are going to be ripe in a few days.  You won't be stuck with a bunch of things that are ripe at the same time. 
  • Choose produce that can work together as well as alone when cooking.  Each item should have at least one dish solo and at least one dish mixed with something else. 
  • When picking fruit that isn't fully ripe, look at the stem.   Produce generally ripens from the stem down.  Something that is completely hard at the stem is nowhere near ripe - instead look for softening at the stem and a concentration of color on the skin for better flavor.
    This past weekend, I spent a great Sunday at the Santa Monica Main Street farmer's market followed by iced coffee at Intelligentsia in Venice.  Sundresses for a sunny day....
      
    My favorite tomato seller (with my fave tomatoes: black brandywine)....

    Came home with a few plums, peaches, kale, basil, green beans and of course, tomatoes....


    The only way to use tomatoes this good is to keep them fresh.  I made the best caprese salad for lunch today with fresh mozarella, chopped basil, extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper....

    1 comment:

    1. That lunch looks so good. Great tip about buying fruit that is ripe and almost ripe. I'll try it next time because I'm always left with fruit that is ripe on the same day!

      ReplyDelete