Yes, my name really is spelled that way.

10/21/2010

easy apple tarts.

I'm not much of a baker but I do keep pie crust and puff pastry in my freezer for those just-in-case moments.  The other night, my neighbors Scott and Adam came over for the Mad Men finale (we're hooked) so I decided to make one of my favorite last minute desserts - apple tarts - to go with our usual wine & chocolate.  This is a great way to use up those leftover pie crust scraps!
easy apple tarts.
servings: 6 tarts (2 each)
1 pie crust, thawed
2 apples
brown sugar
sugar
butter (unsalted)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Using a cookie cutter (or a glass or in my case, a measuring cup), cut rounds out of the pie crust. 

Arrange on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  With a mandoline, slice apples into paper thin slices.  Top each pie crust round with slices, about 8 per round.  Sprinkle with brown sugar and sugar before dotting with butter (just a little bit to melt down with the sugars over the apples).  

Bake for about 20 minutes or until the crust is golden. Allow to cool a couple minutes before serving. You will have leftover pie crust scraps - just re-wrap and place in the freezer for next time!

2 comments:

  1. I need to try these! ...and Mad Men is an excellent reason to make something tasty. So sad the season is over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. agreed - their seasons are WAY too short! it seems like it just started :( going to cry in my pencil skirt & red lipstick....

    ReplyDelete