Yes, my name really is spelled that way.

9/19/2010

rounding out the week's lunches.


Illness & a busy weekend (2 more sales!) kept me from posting.  What better way to start the week than rounding out last week's final lunches!  Keeping with my 1 eggplant & 3 zucchini challenge, I made Dish #5 for on Friday:  Panzanella.  



-grilled eggplant and zucchini cut in small bite size pieces
-heirloom tomatoes (Brandywine is my favorite)
-jarred roasted yellow peppers, cut into strips
-capers, drained and rinsed
-kalamata olives, halved
-day old bread (I cubed mine and put in a bowl on my counter for about 2 days)
-red wine vinegar
-olive oil
-chopped parsley (normally I would use basil here but my basil plants kept committing suicide this year due to the cold summer)
-salt and pepper to taste

Combine all veggies with dressing in an airtight container (Tupperware).  Fill only about halfway, leaving room for the bread (you will add this later - adding now will result in soggy bread).  Put bread in a small bag but do not seal or refrigerate.  

About an hour or so before eating, add bread to the container and stir to combine.  Leave at room temp until ready to eat.  

I had this salad along with a simple green salad (mixed greens, avocado, beets and fat-free feta, balsamic dressing).  Unfortunately, there isn't a pic of the finished panzanella salad (bummer because it was beautiful!) but maybe someone will send me one of theirs if they try it.... 

On Saturday (still a weekday for me), I made Dish #3:  Orzo Salad


-3/4 cup whole wheat orzo
-grilled eggplant and zucchini cut into bite size pieces
-fresh cherry tomatoes
-feta - I used fat-free feta (more on that later)
-chopped parsley (about a handful)
-Balsamic or red wine vinaigrette - I used TJ's bottled vinaigrette (more on that later)
-lemon juice (about 1/2 a lemon)
-olive oil (light drizzle on the top)
-pepper to taste

Cook the orzo according to the package.  While it cooks, chop veggies and parsley.  Drain pasta and pour into an airtight container along with everything else.  Toss to combine.  Before eating, toss again.  I did another simple green salad with this, but more Greek inspired - thin slices of red onion, kalamata olives and toasted pine nuts. 


No comments:

Post a Comment