Yes, my name really is spelled that way.

12/09/2011

baked pumpkin.

While I made THIS the other day during yet another night of packing, I also baked one of my other pumpkins (in the same pan so less clean up).  Baked pumpkin is really versatile and a great way to use up fall decorations.  Why carve a pumpkin that will go to waste in 2 days when you can enjoy one for 2 months on a coffee table and then on your plate? Plus, it makes the house smell amazing! 

Since I am on the home stretch of the packing (thanks to a crowd of girlfriends who came over Saturday), I made a feast with Giada's mushroom ragu recipe over a plate of gnocchi.  History Channel and a big glass of red wine made boxing and taping a little cheerier.... 
baked pumpkin.
1 small pumpkin (I used a tiger pumpkin)
1/2 tbsp. butter
spices (see below), to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cut the top off the pumpkin and scoop out seeds.  Add butter to the bottom of the pumpkin and sprinkle with spices.  Place in a baking dish (with top on) and pour boiling water in the dish about 1/2 inch up the pumpkin.  Bake for 45-50 until soft.  Scoop out flesh and serve. 
*Spice options:
Sweet - cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves
Mexican - chili flakes, cumin, salt, ground pepper
Indian - garam masala, ground cardamom, turmeric

No comments:

Post a Comment