Yes, my name really is spelled that way.

4/06/2011

spring orzo salad.

Asparagus are finally here!  If there is one vegetable you absolutely have to buy in season, it is asparagus.  The out of season ones are those little spindly things that have zero flavor.  On the fruit side, I think strawberries out of season are criminal - flavorless, crunchy and white...all the things a strawberry should never be.  

Back to the asparagus as it is one of the veggies I make over and over again in different dishes.  I was tossing together a lunch for the plane yesterday morning (I don't trust airport food so I packed some snacks for M and I in containers I can just toss).  I made a spring orzo salad that easily used up some things as well as pantry staples....
spring orzo salad.
3/4 cup whole wheat orzo
1 bunch asparagus, chopped in thirds
1 large tomato, cut into wedges
drizzle olive oil
juice of 1/2 of a lemon
drizzle balsamic vinegar
fat free feta
fresh peas
fresh chopped herbs (parsley or basil)

In a pot, bring water to a boil and add 1 tsp. salt.  Add asparagus and blanch 2-3 minutes.  While cooking, prepare an ice bath (equal ice cubes to cold water).  Remove asparagus and add to ice bath.  In the same water, return to a boil and add orzo - cook according to package instructions.  In a tupperware container, add tomato, asparagus, olives, herbs, season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  Add cooked (and cooled) orzo and feta.  Toss to combine. 
 Note: I added the olives and herbs afterwards but since I was running out to catch my airport taxi minutes later, I didn't manage to get a shot of the final product! 

No comments:

Post a Comment