Yes, my name really is spelled that way.

3/24/2011

grapefruit avocado salad.

Since grapefruit season is coming to a close, I thought I would post one last recipe.  Avocados are technically almost done as well but since there are trees that produce year round, it isn't as much of a mournful loss!  This recipe is from Ina Garten and I love the simplicity of it.  I used pink grapefruit - which are normally bright pink in the peak of the season.  These late ones are a lighter peachy color but still just as juicy.... 
grapefruit avocado salad
1 large pink grapefruit
1 avocado
1/2 lemon, juiced
scant 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
drizzle olive oil (extra virgin)
salt and pepper to taste

Peal and segment grapefruit.  Cut, deseed, peal and slice avocado.  Set both aside.  In a bowl (I just use the tupperware I will keep the salad in to have one less dirty bowl), add lemon juice,  dijon mustard, salt and pepper.  Whisk to combine.  Slowly stream in olive oil, whisking to emulsify.  Add grapefruit and avocado, tossing to coat. 
I had my salad with some "creative leftovers" - meaning I had a small bit of leftover Mexican portobello mushrooms (with mild green chilis and red bell peppers) and added a slice of avocado, a poached egg and some fresh chopped scallions to make it more of a complete meal.  Perfect warmed up on a dreary day with sparkling lime essence water and the grapefruit avocado salad on the side! 

No comments:

Post a Comment