Yes, my name really is spelled that way.

10/11/2010

resnick pavilion.

This past weekend, I went with fellow blogger Angela (A Los Angeles Aesthetic) to the Resnick Pavilion at LACMA.  After seeing countless photographs of the building designed by Renzo Piano, I was curious to see how it measured up on the inside.  Airy, sleek - Piano's grand milieu becomes majestic with the strategically placed Mesoamerican sculptures.  The two largest works dot the center vein of the space and the effect is dead-on....

I don't particularly like rococo art (the adjacent gallery's Eye for the Sensual contains the Resnick's rococo collection) but seeing this portrait of Marie Antoinette by Elizabeth Vigee Le Brun for the first time in person, was quite something...

Other than that work, the Eye for the Sensual show is passable - I find the era cloying.  Being more of a contemporary art kind of girl, I prefer BCAM....  But Fashioning Fashion and the Mesoamerican sculptures are what shine in the inaugural exhibition.  In between art world gossip, Mexican cooking, etc., we snaked our way through the winding Fashioning Fashion - a true gem with clothing and accessories from 1700-1915.  My favorites include these fetish boots from 1900....
How au courant are they?!  I love my thigh high boots, now I just wish they were lace ups!  For more on the new Resnick Pavilion, visit LACMA.org

No comments:

Post a Comment