Yes, my name really is spelled that way.

10/28/2010

plum & pear crostatas.

The recent fall weather has put me in an unusual baking mood. Not that I make all of my dough from scratch or spend hours baking but I have used measuring spoons and cups way more than I usually do (which is close to never)!  I love Ina Garten's apple crostata but the idea of making dough makes my head spin.  In the past week plus, I've made two crostatas: one single plum (for me) and a pear for my friend Ruthie and I.  

pear crostata.
whole pie crust
2 pears
butter
1 egg
sugar
brown sugar
cinnamon 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Roll out dough a little thinner on a cutting board dusted with flour (so it won't stick).  Arrange pear slices in the center, fanning out in a single(ish) layer, leaving a 1 inch border.  Sprinkle with sugars, cinnamon and dot with a little butter.  Gently fold border in over the pears.  Egg wash (egg mixed with a little water) the crust with a brush to help seal.  Using a spatula, transfer to a baking sheet or pan.  You could also line it with parchment paper.  Bake for about 30 minutes.  Allow to cool about 5 minutes on a plate before serving.  
 
For the single crostata, I simplified the idea, used in season plums and cut the recipe down to equal only one serving.

plum crostata.
1/2 pie crust, thawed
1 plum, sliced thin
sugar
butter
1 egg 
 Follow recipe above but omit the brown sugar and cinnamon.  Bake for 20 minutes.  
This recipe also works with apples (like the original) but it tends to bake longer.  Other stone fruit works too (peaches, etc.) and  I've even used frozen blueberries! 


Ironically, I got my baking out of my system in time for a little Indian summer as it is 84 degrees in LA today! 

No comments:

Post a Comment