Yes, my name really is spelled that way.

9/14/2010

modern eggplant parm

Sunday night I made a modern take on eggplant parmiggiano using two thick slices of my eggplant.  I made this for my friend Cathy for dinner recently.  Instead of parm that time, I did a slab of gorgeous burrata.  Why does burrata taste so good?  Cream filled cheese is always going to taste good!  

Dish #1: Eggplant Parmiaggiano with Ravioli
-2 slices of eggplant (about 1 inch thick)
-1 egg (I usually break the yolk with my fingers to include only half of it, cuts down on the fat), whisked in a bowl
-storebought bread crumbs, seasoned with dried oregano, basil, salt, pepper, poured in a shallow bowl or plate
-storebought ravioli (about 4-5 for one serving, save the rest in the freezer for another time-another type of pasta would work for this as well)
-storebought marinara
-parmiggiano 


Preheat grill (I use a great double burner cast iron grill pan from Target that was only $20).

Dip eggplant in egg, then coat in bread crumbs.  Start boiling the water in a medium pan for the ravioli. Place on a hot, lightly oiled grill.  Cook about 10 minutes per side.  Once flipped to the second side (you should see good grill marks, otherwise, keep cooking), grate parm on top and let it melt as the underside cooks.  


About halfway through the cooking, add the ravioli to your boiled water and cook according to the package.

To plate, arrange the raviolis, top with warmed marinara sauce, add eggplant, top with a bit more sauce and grate a bit more cheese on top. 


A glass of wine, Mad Men & The Day Before (Full Frontal Fashion) made for a relaxing Sunday dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment